Jorge Mares graduated from the University of Texas at San Antonio, majoring in History and minoring in both Legal Studies and Economics. In 2013, Jorge earned his J.D. from Florida Coastal School of Law, where he received a Pro Bono Honors Award, an award given to students who perform over 500 hours of pro bono work while in law school, for his commitment to pro bono and public service work. During his time in law school, Jorge served as a legal intern for both the Florida Coastal Immigration Clinic and Jacksonville Area Legal Aide, where he assisted numerous individuals in acquiring legal status in the United States, including citizenship, asylum, and permanent residency. In addition, Jorge served as an assistant to all the clinical programs offered at his school, which included Family law, Criminal law, Immigration law, Will and Trust law, Disability and Public Benefits, and Business law. As the clinical assistant, Jorge oversaw the clinic’s legal interns and handled intake for all clinical programs offered at Florida Coastal School of Law.
After law school, Jorge returned to San Antonio and joined the Watts Guerra LLP team in August of 2013. Currently, Jorge is actively involved commercial litigation, intellectual property, and personal injury law. Jorge is licensed to practice in all Texas courts, The United States District Court for the Western District of Texas, The United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, and the United States District Court of the Southern District of Texas. Jorge has taken and/or defended depositions for the firm’s docket across the globe. Jorge has partaken in litigating and resolving large-scale cases, including:
- Misappropriation of Trade Secrets litigation against one of the largest internet search engines in the world;
- Patent Infringement litigation against several of the largest tech companies in the world;
- Litigation involving closely held corporations where theft and misappropriation of trade secrets was alleged against former partners;
- Personal injury litigation involving large-scale trucking accidents as well as industrial work place accidents;
- Personal injury litigation involving company vehicles;
- Litigation involving the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA); and
- Under Insured Motorist litigation.
Not only is Jorge an advocate for our firm’s clients, Jorge is active in the surrounding community and is a member of numerous community groups and legal professional associations.