On September 28, 2012, Chief Judge Herndon of the Southern District of Illinois appointed the Plaintiffs Steering Committee for In Re: Pradaxa (Dabigatran Etexilate) Products Liability Litigations, MDL No. 2385.
As part of his leadership appointments, Chief Judge Herndon selected Mikal C. Watts to serve as Co-Lead Counsel for the Pradaxa litigation.
Watts is widely known for his landmark recoveries in vehicle rollover cases and his lead trial team position with the BP Multi-District Litigation (MDL No. 2179). He has obtained some of the largest and most significant legal victories in the country. Some of his most notable legal successes include:
- The coordination of hundreds of cases against Firestone and Ford for injuries caused by Firestone Wilderness AT tire failures, which led Ford Explorers to rollover, including a record settlement amount and public apologies from both Ford and Firestone in Donna Bailey v. Ford & Firestone;
- The first plaintiffs’ verdict in the country involving faulty hip implants manufactured by Sulzer Orthopedics in Helen Rupp and Bernard Rupp v. Sulzer Orthopedics, Inc., Cause No. 01-60581-00-0-4, In the County Court at Law Number 4, Nueces County, Texas;
- The first plaintiff’s verdict in the country involving the drug Rezulin in Sanchez, Margarita "Margie," Sanchez, et al v. Parke-Davis, et al, Case No. 00-06523-00-0-F, In the 214th District Court, Nueces County, Texas;
- The first verdict in the country involving defects in the roof of Ford’s 2000-vintage F-series pick-up truck in Mario A. Galvan Castro v. Ford Motor Company, et al, Cause No. 2002-04-001555-C, In the 197th Judicial District Court, Cameron County, Texas.
- Served as Lead Counsel in In Re: Stand ‘N Seal Litigation, MDL 1804 (Atlanta, Georgia);
- Served as Liaison Counsel in In Re: Silica Products Liability Litigation, MDL 1553 (Corpus Christi, Texas);
- Hired by the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in In Re: Levaquin Product Liability Litigation MDL 1943, to try the first Levaquin bellwether case in the country and obtain the first and only Plaintiff’s verdict in John Schedin v. Ortho-McNeil-Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Civil No. 08-5743 (JRT), In the United States District Court, District of Minnesota.
- Served as a member of the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in MDL 1873, In re: FEMA Trailer Formaldehyde Products Liability Litigation, participating in the trial of four separate bellwether cases and one appeal to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Currently serving on the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee trial team in all phases of the BP Oil Spill MDL case - MDL 2179, Oil Spill by the Oil Rig "Deepwater Horizon" (New Orleans, Louisiana).
Pradaxa was approved in October 2010 by the FDA for the prevention of stroke in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation, and was the first alternative to warfarin approved in nearly 60 years. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has received over 500 reports of Pradaxa-related deaths with the blood thinner having only been on the market for less than two years. In addition, Pradaxa use has led to over 900 reports of gastrointestinal hemorrhages, over 300 reports of rectal hemorrhages, and over 200 reports of cerebrovascular accidents.
Mikal C. Watts and Ryan L. Thompson are proud to handle the largest Pradaxa injury and wrongful death docket in the country. Watts Guerra LLP represents over 500 Pradaxa victims and surviving family members across the country. The firm filed the first three federal Pradaxa injury and death cases in the country.blog comments powered by Disqus