by Francisco Guerra, IV. on 10/04/2012
Consumers filed close to 30,000 auto defect complaints with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in 2011. Over the past five years, the agency has received more than 130,000 complaints of auto defects. These complaints, according to a new analysis, have ranged all the way from sudden and unintended acceleration to engine fires.
Some vehicles seem to have a much higher risk of being associated with auto defect complaints. For instance, according to an analysis of the complaints registered with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, these are the top 10 cars with the highest rate of complaints based on the number of complaints per 100,000 vehicles.
- Scion, which is linked to a rate of 172.3 complaints – major complaints include safety of the body and shattering glass
- Chevrolet with a rate of 179.4 complaints - steering issues and engine fires
- Nissan with a rate of 204.7- Inactivated tire pressure monitoring systems, steering issues, engine problems
- Toyota with a rate of 215 – stuck gas pedals
- Volkswagen with a rate of 221.5 - Fuel line cracking, fuel line leaks
- Dodge with a rate of 231.6 - Problems with hardware and interior electronics
- Jaguar with a rate of 240.5 - Software and cruise control problems
- Chrysler with a rate of 292.3 - Premature wearing of brake pads
- Jeep with a rate of 386.1 - Fuel emission and exhaust system complaints
- Mini with a rate of 410.1- Fires due to overeating of water pump, power steering failures
In at least nine out of these cases, the complaints resulted in massive recalls of these vehicles. However, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration doesn’t necessarily investigate every complaint that it receives. Investigations are begun only in very rare cases, and it's even rarer that the investigation will result in a recall.
If you have suffered injuries in an accident caused by a motor vehicle defect, speak with an experienced product liability attorney at our firm. The auto products lawyers of Watts Guerra Craft have handled defective car cases for years and have obtained significant victories for our clients.
blog comments powered by Disqus